top of page

Can I claim Universal Credit if I’m sick or disabled?

Make the most of your Universal Credit payment with personalised help from the Money Manager tool.

At the moment, Universal Credit mostly affects people who are single, newly unemployed and looking for work in England, Scotland and Wales.

However, some areas offer a full service, which means they can handle most claimants. If you live in a ‘full service’ area you may have to make a claim for Universal Credit rather than ESA if you can’t work because of sickness or disability.

If your Jobcentre offers a full service, you will be expected to make and manage your claim mostly online. In Northern Ireland Universal Credit will become available only to single jobseekers from September 2017. If you’re sick or disabled, it’s likely you will be asked to claim other benefits instead.

How does Universal Credit affect PIP and DLA?

If you’re an adult and getting either Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA), it will continue to be paid along with your Universal Credit payment. You get these benefits if your condition is severe enough for you to qualify for them. They won’t affect the amount you get in Universal Credit. However, if you’re claiming DLA or PIP for a sick or disabled child, the rate of benefit you’re getting can affect your Universal Credit payment.

  ©A1 ESA/DLA/PIP Benefits Help and Support (UK only)

bottom of page