top of page




 Scooters ?

Remember, you can choose to spend your higher rate mobility allowance in whatever way you wish.

If you only travel short distances, you might want to consider leasing a Motability scooter instead of a car. However, if you only travel occasionally, it might be more cost-effective for you to spend your allowance on other modes of transport such as taxis.


Organisations such as Disability Rights UK and Rica produce high quality information on a number of accessible mobility solutions.

The Motability Scheme 

Who is eligible ?

To be eligible to join the Motability Scheme, you need to receive one of the following mobility allowances and you must have at least 12 months’ award length remaining. Please note that the Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through the Scheme.

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA)
    As of 12 April 2017, this allowance is £58.00 per week.

  • Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
    As of 10 April 2017, this allowance is £58.00 per week.

  • War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
    As of 12 April 2017, this allowance is £64.80 per week.

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
    As of 12 April 2017, the mobility element of the allowance is £58.00 per week.

               Motability Car ?                

If you are awarded Enhanced rate mobility in PIP, you can decide to take up a lease car through

These cars various types available, can cost an upfront amount ranging from £200 up to £1400 depending on the make/model you chose to have. Motability takes care of ALL TAX, INSURANCE, MOT, SERVICING ETC..

Motability TAX the vehicles so that garages can collect for servicing, also reselling at end of lease is easier for them, and therefore reduced tax is not used.

As a result any designated driver agreed by motability can if agreed with them use the vehicle for other purposes such as going to work, shopping etc without the disabled person being in the vehicle.. “Rest assured if you have a nominated driver, mobility are generally happy for them to use the car to go to work from shared home address and back again, as using the vehicle in this way allows them to bring in an income and is therefore benefiting the disabled person”

However, If they were to use the vehicle or a commercial purpose or for financial profit, you would need to speak to the insurers RSA Motability, in the unlikely event that this is considered contact RSAM to discuss business use on 0300 0373737 100% DVLA TAX REDUCTION WITH AN ENHANCED AWARD OF PIP ?


When claiming the reduced or free tax on YOUR OWN CAR!

When this is claimed it is changing the vehicle to a disabled car, and this means that the vehicle CAN ONLY be used for the benefit of the disabled person, for instance, taking to appointments, treatment, shopping etc.


This car CAN NOT be used to commute to work by a partner. The same as the 50% reduction for standard awards. If the car is used for purposes other than to assist or mobilize the disabled person, it invalidates the insurance, so if involved in an accident you may find that you are NOT insured.


If DVLA are notified of miss use you can be made to repay the TAX and be fined.. 

How to apply and claim your reduced car tax



bottom of page