top of page

  What is PIP?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is intended to help people who face additional barriers or costs in trying to live an independent life, because of a long-term illness or disability. If you have a mental health problem which makes it difficult to live independently, we would recommend you consider applying for PIP.

The benefit is available to people who are aged between 16 and 64. Payments range from £21.55 to £138.05 a week, depending on how much your illness or disability is judged to impact on your day to day life.  You may have already been invited to claim PIP if you previously claimed DLA. However, due to delays in the process this may not be the case. To check when you will be invited to change to PIP you can use the Department for Work and Pension’s (DWP) PIP Checker tool at You can also use this checker to see if you are eligible to claim PIP if you haven’t previously claimed DLA. More information about PIP You can find more information about PIP on the website. Where you can find help with the application and assessment process Your Local Mind may be able to offer you guidance with your application and assessment.

Their details can be found at the back of this booklet. 7 Mind also runs an Infoline (0300 123 3393 open 9am – 6pm, Monday – Friday) which can help to signpost you to support in your local area. More details of the Infoline are in the Useful Contacts section of this booklet. How to Apply If you want to begin a new claim you should call the claims line on 0800 917 2222 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm). The calls to this line are free from landlines and most mobile phones. Before calling you may want to check whether you are eligible to claim PIP at

When making the call make sure you have the below information with you:

• Your name

• National Insurance number

• Date of birth

• Full address and postcode

• Daytime contact number

• Nationality

 ©A1 ESA/DLA/PIP Benefits Help and Support (UK only)


Winter Struggles ? 

Here are some useful links to help. 

Advicelocal can help you find information relating to: welfare benefits and tax credits; council tax, including exemptions and discounts; debt and money advice; housing and homelessness; employment and work issues; disability and social care; and asylum and immigration.

Homeless or facing homelessness

Warm Home Discount Scheme

Food Banks (links & info)

Domestic Abuse


bottom of page